#AVRinMA: May 15 Update & Action Plan
MA H.4320 is suited up and ready to play! But we're in the Final Four (8, actually) w/o a coach. So we need a full court press.
H. 4320 was favorably voted out of the Elections Committee, endorsed by Secretary Galvin, praised by Maura Healey. We've got 90+ Democratic Reps on board, ~25 GOP votes, and a lot of momentum, because three more states have passed AVR this year. It's cost-saving, it's smart, it's what we need to move forward in voting, and it's already reconciled (House/Senate). But it's competing with a lot of other bills (See this Facebook Post for a list of what's on the legislature's plate before this session ends.) And right now, time's running out, and we've got to step in and do what our Lead Sponsor would have done:
DIRECTLY ASK EVERY SINGLE SUPPORTER IN THE HOUSE TO ASK SPEAKER DELEO TO PUT AVR UP FOR A VOTE.
Bottom line, we need to be like gum on their shoes until we get this passed.
Here's How to Help, in more Detail than You Ever Wanted
1. Make an Appointment to talk to your Rep.
PREPARE FOR THE CONVERSATION WITH THE AIDE.
- Get a basic idea of where your Rep stands, and whether they're publicly supporting AVR, by clicking on the button in the left hand column.
- You may end up talking to an aide wen you call for an appointment, so look look at our teaching materials, below.
PREPARE FOR THE CONVERSATION WITH YOUR REP.
Talk to their Chief of Staff or a Legislative Aide, and say: I know Rep is basically supporting AVR — or, I haven't seen a public statement about AVR from the Rep. Could you tell me more? Try to understand the nuances. Is your Rep:
- SKEPTICAL (Do you know what their concerns are?)
- UNDECIDED (Did this bill slip under their radar?)
- LEANING (They might say they have no problem with it, or, "If it comes up, I'll vote yes.")
- SUPPORTING (I like AVR. I'm on board.)
- CHAMPIONING (They're a strong supporter, and they'll work to get it passed.)
IF YOU GET AN APPOINTMENT FOR A MEETING...
- RECRUIT OTHER CONSTITUENTS to join you. We're happy to brief them.
- BEFORE THE MEETING, SEND YOUR REP A FLYER. Then, bring 2-3 copies of the same flyer to give to them, in person.
IF YOU CAN'T GET A MEETING, YOU CAN...
- Ask for a phone appointment
- Go to a public event you know they'll attend.
- Write a handwritten letter.
Send out some postcards! We'll GIVE them to you.
Learn more on our AMPLIFY PAGE.
IN THE MEETING:
LIMIT YOUR ASKS
Don't throw the kitchen sink at your Rep. The more bills you bring up, the less impact you'll have on each.
DON'T BE ADVERSARIAL
Bottom line, it doesn't work, so check your snark at the door. You'll be more successful if you encourage and praise.
SAY YOU'LL FOLLOW UP - AND FOLLOW UP!
- The lobbying effort doesn't end when you leave the office. It ends when you get the action you want from your Rep.
2. Amplify with a Postcard Party!
Click on the image to get the whole scoop on where to buy/download them, what to write, to whom.
YOU CAN ORDER OURS, PRINT OURS OUT, OR WRITE YOUR OWN. But stay on message, using the bullet points on our Postcard Party Page.
If you need help buying them we'll give them to you.
3. Recruit One-a-Day!
A great way to be effective when your Rep is already enthusiastic, and has promised to talk to Speaker DeLeo, is to recruit other activists. Find one person a day and give them their Rep's number. All they have to say is,
"I support AVR and want my Rep to help get it up for a vote this session!"
USE SOCIAL MEDIA
- Use #AVRinMA, and #mapoli on Twitter. Our front page as a whole bunch of stories you can tweet!
- Join our Facebook Group, Lift+Every+Vote and share our posts with your group!
SEND OUT A LINK TO OUR NEW VIDEO!
COMMON CAUSE MA FLYER
Graphics. Most comprehensive about the mechanics of how AVR. A good one for legislators.
LEAGUE OFWOMEN VOTERS FACT SHEET
Nice checklist, easy to read.