6 Critical Efforts You Can Assist, from Anywhere in the Country
1. Help Restore Voting Rights for Returning Citizens
1.6 MILLION FLORIDIANS CAN'T VOTE DUE TO A FELONY CONVICTION. A WIN ON QUESTION 4 ON THE NOVEMBER BALLOT COULD CHANGE THAT.
Florida's the worst voter suppression state in the nation—by the severity of its policy, by the sheer number of disenfranchised citizens, and, by the percentage of its adult population who has been stripped of a voice.
- While 23 states disenfranchise >5% of their population, and six disenfranchise >7.5% (Mississippi, at 9.8%, is the highest)—Florida disenfranchises 10.4% of its entire adult population.
- In sheer numbers, FL disenfranchises more citizens than any other state—1.6 million voters. That's 1/4 of the nation's total, of citizens disenfranchised for one felony conviction.
- Florida is one of three states (with KY and IA) that permanently disenfranchise returning citizens, unless they achieve an individual pardon.
The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition collected over 1M signatures to get rights restoration on the 2018 ballot. It will be referendum Question 4.
We've got three ways you can help pass it: donating; phone banking to raise awareness among Floridians, donating, doing data entry to help register voters. And if you want to go to Florida, we'll hook you up!
2. Help Elect Pro-Voting, Pro-AVR Secretaries of State
CLICK ON THESE CANDIDATES TO HELP! THE TOP ROW ARE ESPECIALLY CRITICAL.
led a national voter protection effort and a focused, non-partisan one in Michigan. She's demonstrated her commitment to making sure that all eligible voters have access to the ballot.
is a software engineer who worked for Google Earth and Uber. He teaches at University of Kansas. His skills are what we need to protect voting access, and bring it into the 21st century.
Nelson Araujo is committed to modernizing the secretary of state’s office to expand the franchise, secure elections, and make voting more convenient.
demonstrated a commitment to protecting voters person by person in Colorado during the 2012 elections.
Secretary Toulouse Oliver has worked to restore transparency to the NM SoS's office, and supports critical reforms like AVR.
3. Help #EndCrossCheck (and help promote ERIC)
1. JOIN #ENDCROSSCHECK
This is an effort sponsored by Indivisible Chicago, which is working to pull Illinois out of CrossCheck.
2. HELP DEFEAT KRIS KOBACH FOR KS GOVERNOR
Kris Kobach invented CrossCheck as Kansas' Secretary of State, which throws millions of voters off the rolls using an algorithm that has a 300:1 false positive rate. Since Kansas taxpayers fund the entire CrossCheck program, electing an pro-voting opponent, either Republican or Democrat, offers a chance to kneecap CrossCheck altogether.
4. Help Voters Get the ID They Need
5. Do Some Voter Registration Texting
HELP YOUR STATE ENACT AUTOMATIC VOTER REGISTRATION.
Automatic Voter Registration may be the single most powerful thing we all can do
fight voter suppression. It could register 50 million eligible voters nationwide.
Creating truly accurate rolls has the potential to END the partisan ping pong over
voter suppression and fraud. If your state is close, this law deserves everything you can give it.